A fifth guest staying at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace Hotel in Tenerife has tested positive for COVID-19. The hotel has been in lockdown since February 25, with health officials on-site testing guests for symptoms.
It is believed that the male guests came into close contact with another who tested positive for the virus earlier in the week.
Reports suggest that he has been in his room since the quarantine period began.
After a first guest tested positive for the virus, guests received a note under their hotel room doors directing them to stay in their rooms until further notice.
- Top 10 safest countries in the world MAP
The discovery as made when an Italian guest was taken to hospital after showing symptoms of the disease.
The man, reported to be a doctor, tested positive for the virus along with his wife.
Since then there have been four additional confirmed cases. All those who tested positive have been taken to hospital.
Reports state that 160 of the hotels’s guests, some of whom are British tourist, have been told to stay in their rooms.
Meanwhile, around 700 have since been allowed to leave the complex having not shown any symptoms of the disease.
However, some of the travellers who booked their trip through UK travel operators may not be allowed to fly home as soon as they might hope.
Jet2Holidays has stated it will not fly any travellers home until they have completed the directed quarantine period, even if authorities have allowed them to leave.
Jet2 adds that all passengers must test negative before they are able to board.
Travel warning: Is Tenerife safe for holidays? [WARNING]
Coronavirus: Canary Islands report another case of virus [UPDATE]
Coronavirus: How safe are hotels amid deadly epidemic [INSIGHT]
A statement issued by the travel operator said: “We are continuing to remain in contact with customers at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Tenerife, and we also have designated 24/7 telephone assistance in place.
“Their health and safety is our absolute priority, as it is with every single one of our customers and colleagues. Therefore, to help prevent any potential spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have asked all customers to remain in the hotel, which remains under quarantine, until any potential incubation period, as defined by the World Health Organisation (WHO), has passed (March 10th).
“We will not fly any customer who has stayed at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace during the quarantine, until this incubation period has passed or unless they have been explicitly tested for COVID-19 by a recognised authority and are confirmed as clear of the virus. Our responsibility to our customers, our colleagues and the general public remains paramount.
“We will continue to release more information as it becomes available.”
- Coronavirus crisis: Japan under fire over ‘incubator’ Diamond Princess
Meanwhile, The Guardian reports that TUI has urged travellers to stay at the hotel, and easyJet said “it could only accept passengers from the hotel who has been isolated for 14 days.”
However, tourists are growing concerned that the quarantine will mirror a similar situation on cruise ship Diamond Princess, which saw the disease spread to more than 700 passengers.
Many guests have expressed frustration at the efforts by the UK government to rescue them.
Speaking to the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire show, hotel guest Rosie Mitford expressed her desire to return home.
She said: “We want to come back home now.”
“We just don’t see the point of staying here for two weeks when none of us have symptoms and then isolating when we get back.”
The guest added that little information has been shared with them other than the initial note all guests received at the beginning of the quarantine.
Coronavirus has currently spread to 62 countries worldwide, with the number of confirmed cases in the UK rising to 23.
Globally, there are over 85,000 confirmed cases of the virus.
Source: Read Full Article